Welcome to Praise Cathedral! Our church is a ‘place to belong,’ where lost people can find healing and where searching people can find truth, friendship and opportunity for personal growth and involvement. It is our desire to reach our community with the good news of life in Christ. We want to make a difference in individual lives, in families, in our community and around the world.
At Praise Cathedral, we believe that the most important thing we do as Christians is worship. It is also the most exciting thing we do together as a church family. As a result of true worship, God’s people become committed to service. Everything we do as a church – our music, our evangelism, our teaching, our ministry – must grow out of our love adoration and worship of the Lord. We strive daily to reflect the care that our Lord Jesus Christ demonstrated for the body, soul and spirit of each individual. Caring is not only knowing God’s Word, but also demonstrating it so that others may know and be touched by the abundance of God’s love.
At Praise Cathedral, you’ll find a wide variety of choices for your involvement and enrichment. It is our sincere hope that you will explore these possibilities and through them find fellowship, new friends, inspiration, and many opportunities to use your God-given talents in our church.
to be a church with a passion for God and compassion for people.
To worship the Lord Jesus Christ and declare His Gospel with all that we are and with all that we have, in the power of Pentecost. To minister to the needs of all men, building them up in the faith and in the Word, accepting them for who they are and where they are in life, and reaching out to “whosoever.”
On July 11, 1982, 85 people met for worship in the rented store building in the Country Plaza near the Tyger River boundary of Greer and Lyman with Clyde Ogle serving as the interim minister. Like their spiritual ancestors who formed the beginnings of the Church of God nearly 100 year earlier, this group desired to begin a new mission that would allow Scripture and faith to fuel their aspirations to love God and love all people regardless of social status and religious tradition. Nearly three months later on October 3, 1982, the North Wade Hampton Church of God was organized with 65 charter members. Bobby Johnson was appointed Pastor, Clyde Ogle continued to serve as a part-time Associate Pastor.
The church continued to grow and relocated to its present location on Brushy Creek Rd. On January 1, 1984 241 enthused people gathered for worship in the completed first phase of the building program. The building was dedicated on May 5, 1984 and was officially renamed Praise Cathedral Church of God.
On January 6, 2002 after serving as Pastor for nearly 20 years Pastor Bobby Johnson retired as Senior Pastor and was named Pastor Emeritus. Jerry Madden became the Senior Pastor after serving as Children’s Pastor and Associate Pastor since 1997.
Praise Cathedral has been blessed since 1982 and continues to fulfill its mission to love God and love people.
Praise Cathedral is a member of the Church of God with headquarters in Cleveland, Tennessee. For more information about our beliefs and the Church of God please visit www.churchofgod.org
- In the verbal inspiration of the Bible.
- In one God eternally existing in three persons; namely, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
- That Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son of the Father, conceived of the Holy Ghost, and born of the Virgin Mary. That Jesus was crucified, buried, and raised from the dead. That He ascended to heaven and is today at the right hand of the Father as the Intercessor.
- That all have sinned and come short of the glory of God and that repentance is commanded of God for all and necessary for forgiveness of sins.
- That justification, regeneration, and the new birth are wrought by faith in the blood of Jesus Christ.
- In sanctification subsequent to the new birth, through faith in the blood of Christ; through the Word, and by the Holy Ghost.
- Holiness to be God’s standard of living for His people.
- In the baptism with the Holy Ghost subsequent to a clean heart.
- In speaking with other tongues as the Spirit gives utterance and that it is the initial evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost.
- In water baptism by immersion, and all who repent should be baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
- Divine healing is provided for all in the atonement.
- In the Lord’s Supper and washing of the saints’ feet.
- In the premillennial second coming of Jesus. First, to resurrect the righteous dead and to catch away the living saints to Him in the air. Second, to reign on the earth a thousand years.
- In the bodily resurrection; eternal life for the righteous, and eternal punishment for the wicked.
The Elders Ministry at Praise Cathedral consists of two separate and distinct groups; the Ministry Elders & the Administrative Elders
Ministry Elders are individuals and/or couples who display the Spiritual Gifts of Elders and serve as an extension of the Pastor’s Office. Selected for service by the Pastor, Ministry Elders are involved in various areas including but not limited to
-Hospital and Bereavement Visitation
-Prayer and Altar Ministry
-Guest Assimilation and Contact
-Serving of Communion
-Other Spiritual areas of services as needed
ADMINISTRATIVE ELDERS (COUNCIL)
Administrative Elders (sometimes referred to as the Administrative Council) are men elected annually by the church membership. These individuals assist the Pastor in overseeing the business of the church including, but not limited to:
-Building and Expansion Oversight
-Policy, Polity, and Procedures of the Church
*Administrative elders serve two year terms after which they are not eligible to serve for one year.
*An individual may be both a Ministry Elder and and Administrative Elder.
- A comprehensive list of our policies on file are given out with each New Members packet. If you have a question on a particular matter please consult with one of our pastor’s. You may schedule an appointment through the office by calling (864) 879-4878.
Praise Cathedral encourages participation in ministry by every member. Volunteer opportunities are available within the local church as well as the local community. For the protection of the church both as a religious establishment and as a conscientious institution of the community, volunteers must be members of Praise Cathedral and in good standing for a period of not less than six (6) months. Volunteers must also successfully complete a volunteer application and pass a criminal/sexual offenders background check.